We, the School Governors are responsible for ensuring that the school runs both smoothly and continues to improve and hold the Headteacher accountable for any decisions that have been made.
We are accountable to the LEA and the Diocese and demand that St Mary’s is continuously working to at least a good standard.
The vision of the Governors is for the school to offer an outstanding education to all of its pupils. The School Governors have the skills set to achieve this vision.
School Governors commit to giving time and energy to the role. Each Governor contributes to the work of the Governing body and shares the load. Not only do governors attend regular meetings, read papers, speak to staff, parents (through Parent Voice) and children (through Pupil Voice), they see the school in action through observing lessons and lesson plans.
We also undertake professional training and keep up to date with relevant information to help guide the school strategically which enables us to focus on the key areas that will impact the school.
As school governing body, we work closely with the Head teacher and the staff subject leaders with a view to promoting high standards of education.
We fulfil our objectives by establishing the strategic framework by:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
- Operate in such a way that statutory details are met and priorities are approved.
- Provide challenges to the Headteacher to account for improving the quality of teaching, educational performance and pupils’ behaviour and safety.
- Support and strengthen school leadership.
- Contribute to the school’s self-evaluation and understanding its strengths and weaknesses.
- Engage with key stakeholders.
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure it’s money well spent.
- Use pupil premium and other resources to overcome barriers to learning, including reading, writing and numeracy.
Our Governing body has a mix of new and experienced members representing different views. Each Governor is elected to run a four year term of office although it is only the Parent Governors who stands to be elected or re-elected
There are eleven Governors who sit across two committees – Curriculum and then Finance, Staffing and Premises Committee. Additionally we have a Strategy Committee comprising of the Committee chairs and Headteacher.
The purpose of declaring such interests is to enable the governing body to put controls in place to ensure there is no conflict between a governor or staff member’s private interest and the school’s interests.
From 1 September 2015, governing bodies are under a duty to publish their register of interests on the school’s website.
No change from 2018 – to date
Additional Governance 2019-2020
There are no additional governance governors on our governing body.
Our Governing Body
Staff Governor (Curriculum)
Local Authority Governor (Finance)
01.10.18 – 01.10.22
Mrs Sue Fox
Headteacher Governor (All committees)
Mrs Clare Hill
Clerk to Governors
Mrs Jane Sellman
Ex Officio Governor
Reverend Dr. David Isiorho